Television shows such as Bones and NCSI have made medical autopsy common viewing. An autopsy is an inspection and dissection of a body after death to help determine the true cause of death. During an autopsy the hidden is made known. For instance, lungs examined during autopsy don’t lie about a smoking history.
Scripture suggests that when God views me he performs a “spiritual autopsy” and the hidden in my life is revealed.
I the Lord search the heart and examine the mind… (Jeremiah 17:10 NIV). What will God find in me?
- Heart – A steadfast, trusting, secure and fearless heart or a proud, deceitful, sinful heart? (Ezekiel 36:25-27)
- Eyes – Friendly eyes fixed on Jesus or haughty, angry eyes? (Hebrews 12:2; Psalm 101:5)
- Mind – A renewed, enlightened mind filled with the knowledge of God or a fallen, sinful, confused mind? (Romans 12:2, Romans 8:5-8)
- Knees – Calloused knees from kneeling before God or smooth-skinned knees? (Psalm 95:6)
- Feet – Obedient feet following Jesus or wayward feet? (Psalm 17:5; Proverbs 1:15-16)
King David prepared for his examination.
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. (Psalm 139:23-24 NIV)
Will you join me in preparing for our examinations?