When it comes to the issue of abundance, my mind automatically shifts to thoughts of material possessions - money, houses, and cars. This is rather embarrassing. I would want people to believe that I might think of loftier things to accumulate, such as:
• full and rich relationships with my family and friends
• deeper maturity in my relationship with God
Am I destined for a shallow life? Not if I heed the challenge from the book of Jude.
Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance. (Jude 2 NIV)
How different my life might be if, when questioned about abundance, my automatic thoughts were of mercy, peace and love rather than material possessions? The resulting overflow from my life would look quite different.
• Mercy overflowing as I show unmerited kindness, compassion and forgiveness
• Peace overflowing as I become a peacemaker, rather than a bearer of strife and dissension
• Love overflowing as I demonstrate profound, tender affection toward everyone – friends and enemies
It seems that, regarding my attitude toward abundance, a heart change is in order. Would you join me in seeking the work of the Holy Spirit – that we might overflow with mercy, peace and love?